The idea of storing different kinds of foods in storage containers and bags in order to save them from freezer burn or other factors has more people opting for vacuum sealing. The main problem with contemporary food storage bags with built in seals is that you can pump out some of the air present from these bags but you cannot create a full vacuum, and even then you cannot seal them to ensure a 100 percent airtight package.
This method of storing can help you for short term storage needs, but if you want to store food for a very long period of time, then vacuum sealing is the best option.
Proper vacuum sealing not only increases the shelf life of food products five times longer than conventional storage methods, but it also helps you to save thousands of dollars by avoiding spoilage and waste of foods. Vacuum sealing not only keeps your food fresh, but it also enhances the flavors in some circumstances.
You can also use vacuum sealing for marinating or preparing your food for Sous Vide cooking. You can save a little bit of money by opting for cheaper storage. But sometimes it can have a bad effect on the health of your family. So you must not compromise and opt for vacuum sealing. It will not only reduce food waste, but you will be providing healthy and safe food to your family.
Reasons for Vacuum Sealing
- The first and foremost reason for using a food vacuum sealer is that you can efficiently remove the maximum amount of air from your bags, jars and canisters that is not possible by using traditional air removing methods. By using straws or a pumping action, you may remove some of the air, but these efforts are not adequate enough to create the required vacuum for efficient food storage.
- Vacuum sealers are highly efficient machines that create a vacuum and seal the package simultaneously in a very short period of time.
- The quality of sealing done by using heat sealing methods is far superior to zip lock or other methods. This type of sealing ensures that the vacuum created in the container remains constant without any chance of leakage or reentry of air.
- The efficient and safe storage of food items require high quality bags. The bags provided for vacuum sealing are made of high quality plastic and ensures that proper sealing takes place when sealed by a vacuum sealer. It must be always kept in mind that out-of-chamber vacuum sealers require bags with special embossing for efficient heat sealing.
- Minimal use of labor is the other reason behind opting for a vacuum sealer as these machines are very easy to operate and very efficient. Some of the models available on the market can allow vacuum packing of more than forty packages in one hour without the need for a cool off period. The efficiency of vacuum sealers makes a huge difference when you have to seal a large number of products.
- Apart from using vacuum sealers for storing different kinds of foods, you can also vacuum seal jewelry, silverware, medicines, electronic devices and important documents. This saves them from moisture and humidity that can damage your items. You can also use a vacuum sealer to pack foods and other supplies for traveling, camping, boating, hunting, fishing or other outdoor activities.
Removing air manually from a bag or any other container can be very tiring and totally worthless if you cannot ensure proper sealing. It is recommended that you opt for a vacuum sealer as it is very efficient for this type of work. You can save substantial amounts of time and money!